Friday, August 28, 2009

"Double the Pleasure, Double the Fun"

Upon further reflection of my last post, I realized I have yet another story about my hair... a short little treasure. Again (and thankfully) this takes place when I was little. I loved gum. Especially bubble gum (the tape was great because you could pull out as much as you wanted!!!! -- i guess that's the reason for mine lasting half as long as my sisters' would). I loved to blow bubbles with my gum too, and see how big I could make them. I think I felt grown up when I got to chew gum and that's why I liked it so much. Well there was a period in this bubble gum-loving phase of mine that i seemed to get the gum in my hair more often than not. How you may ask? I still wonder the same thing... what, was I trying to blow a bubble and do a cartwheel at the same time? hmm... that could possibly have been it... It probably also did not help that this was my "I refuse to let my mom do my hair" phase and i always had a tangled and dirty mess that was never pulled back (or half of it coming out of whatever hairdo my mom was able to manage in .5 seconds while I was wriggling and running about screaming "NO!!"). Well regardless of how it happened, it did happen. and quite a lot. It came to the point that I was grounded from chewing gum. Not only that, but my sisters were also not allowed to give me any. Well I'm not quite sure how... but somehow I got my hands on some gum, and I was smart enough to know I'd be in big trouble if mom found me with it. So where did I stash it? I had a plastic tricicle that I loved and part of the reason was because the seat lifted up and you could store things in the little cubbie beneath it. It's where I kept all my treasures, including my recently obtained, and forbidden gum. The days following I would go out and ride my trike just so I could chew my gum and blow my bubbles. I'd ride as long as the flavor would last, until my cheeks would be tired, or mom would call me in. Then I'd spit out the gum and the excitement would again mound for my next ride. Well it wasn't long before I was out there again and I was riding down the street and back up going as fast as I could peddle, then holding my legs out to the side and letting the trike continue to speed down the street on its own while I chewed my gum and threw my head from side to side feeling the wind fly through my hair as an exhilarating feeling of freedom welled up inside of me. Then, all those good feelings popped along with the bubble I just blew. With the toss of my head my hair got stuck in the gum and pulled it right out of my mouth. Yep, "Good feelings gone". Now all I felt was horror, just like Ralphie after he shot his eye out, "oh no! What have I done? Maybe I could play it off like nothing had happened". But like Ralphie, I too could not hide what had happened. I tried to pull the gum out, but I was paying for never letting my mom comb or do my hair. It was nappy, nappy and tangly, which translates into STUCK! That gum was not going anywhere. So when I found that I couldn't pull it out, I tried to blend it in, mashing it in even farther to the strand it was stuck to, and then trying to tuck that piece behind my ear. Well I bet you can guess that didn't work out so well... so once I could do no more, I figured I'd have to go home and just hope for the best. So here I come walking up the driveway with gum all over my hair, stuck to my fingers, smeared arcoss my bike handles... its literally everywhere, there's no hiding this pickle. Let's just say mom was NOT happy. She thought she was going to have to cut my hair this time because it was matted in there so well. But luckily, half a jar of peanut butter and an hour later I was pretty much back to normal. Except now I had to find a new hiding spot for my treasures now that mom found out about my trike...

2 comments:

alma and nicole smith said...

haha...i didn't remember this story, but still like it. you should post every day. you make me laugh. when do i get to see those light pictures??

carolyn said...

Monique,Monique,Monique....(she says as she shakes her head and shrugs her shoulders)