Friday, February 15, 2008

Cleaning fairy or cleaning nazi?



Okay, so we have cleaning checks every month right?? Well this month I got the bathroom and I cleaned it so well because I failed 3 times before (and I'm supposed to be a custodian... lol ironic right??) even though I clean way better than any of my other roommates and spend seriously about 2 hours cleaning (when I had the oven and 1/2 the kitchen I swear I spent 3-4 and still failed!). So I really cleaned everything to the detail, and I come home the next day to see fail by my name. Grrr! I've been able to laugh it off in the past, but seriously?! I mean this is just getting ridiculous!!! My roommate was like, I think it's because some of us took showers after you cleaned it. So I go into the office to explain my case, but what happens? of course the lady I need to talk to isn't there and won't be in until the next day after my rechecks are scheduled! So what does that mean? I have to reclean the tub to avoid the second fee ($35) and then come in later and state my case. So I do, I reclean it, and it looks exactly the same as it did the first time... some stains, but clean. So the next morning the cleaning lady shows up. Its an old woman, probably 75.. short, portly, glasses (too low of a perscription...just speculations :) And she says I'm here to check the tub, all sweet and innocently. (but oh i know better than to fall for the act) so I go back there and one of my roommates just got in the shower!!!! So I told her I think someone just got in... and she gets all upset, lets out a big sigh like I just took her so out of her way and says all annoyed, "well I guess I'm just going to have to fail it then" and I said, "Are you kidding me?!?!" and she replies "No! I can't wait around here all day, I have other apt's to check!" and I said "even if she gets out right now..." and she just repeats that she has to go... so she asks where the sheet is and I said, maybe I took it into my room... So on my way back to check I knock on the door and have to kick my roommate out of the shower... and then I can't find the cleaning sheet!!! Kaylee comes in and tells me she thinks she saw it in the garbage, so we go digging through the trash with the cleaning lady saying extremely irritated in a raised voice (in the cleaning nazi voice as I like to call it) "You threw it away?! You never throw that sheet away until I clear it!" and "I have to go!" "You never throw that sheet away!" (and she says never the say that check out lady told you you could never return your green sweater Nicole lol, I really had to try not to laugh at how dramatic she was being, and I probably would have if I wasn't so annoyed and angry at that time) lol sheesh we know! calm down! then she says "is that girl out yet?" and I say yes, so she goes back and checks it and comes back "well it passed, so don't worry about finding it," (which is good because at that moment we pulled it out only to find jam or strawberries or something had been put on top of it, and now 1/2 of it was wet and dissolved haha) "but next time, don't throw that sheet away!" Then returns to her sweet voice, smiles and says "Goodbye, have a nice day!" ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! my roommate and I just stood there for about 5 seconds looking at each other in disbelief with our hands held away from us, covered in trash. Later that day the roommate who was in the shower (and told me why I failed the first time) said that the tub looked exactly the same if not dirtier than the first time I cleaned it (b/c she was in there). And that the cleaning lady was like "Oh, yes, this looks much better!" "Thank you dear, you can get back in the shower now" (in her cleaning fairy voice). I swear! Dad, it's like your haircut story at the MTC! I could have done nothing and she would have said that! My roommate (that was in the shower) said she bets they have a quota they have to fill or something, just like cops, b/c there has only been once when all of us have passed (lol and its usually me who doesn't). I would believe it, b/c there is always full sized candy bars in the office, and a sign in the yard that says "refer a friend and get $50!!" -- here's an idea, just treat your tenants right then they'd refer other girls on their own and you wouldnt have to pay them to do it, and then you wouldn't have to charge for everything to cover it!!!! My theory is that when she was little... maybe middle school or elementary that there was a girl in her class that was mean to her, or maybe she knew a Monique in High school and they were best friends, but then Monique stole her boyfriend or something like that, and she is seeking revenge on me b/c of my name... just one theory, but I think its promising! :) So what's the moral of the story? Check out the childhood of your cleaning fairy/nazi and change your name accordingly! :) Or, if you are a cleaning fairy (manager): give the tenants a break, they usually do clean and they have a LOT going on! Do your job of course, but be nice, and let them reclean it right then if you are there so they don't have to pay the fee. Because they are the ones who recommend others to live there the next semester, so you really get more money from a happy tenant then a failed cleaning check.
Sorry about the tangent, but I just had to get that out there... I find comically ridiculous

3 comments:

alma and nicole smith said...

monique!! i was rolling when i read this post!!! what crazy people! they didnt even do clean checks when i lived there! sorry about that one. i hate being the cleaning nazi on the other end. but if they dont do it, i have to (but we only do it at the end of the semester and i try to be really nice about it). love the pictures! i was seriously laughing so hard through this whole thing! oh, i also was thinking of my sweater story even before you said it! haha! love you.

Meridith said...

Oh, Monique! I love ya. So glad I found your blog.

Anonymous said...

Your room mates are retards and have no respect