Thursday, December 13, 2007

another reason why i love BYU

As I mentioned earlier, my external hard drive had a little retard moment as it fell over (very softly I might add) onto the carpet. The very big deal about this is that I have all of my cousin's wedding pictures on it, so I NEED to recover the info. I called the company to see about their recovery program and how much it would be. The lady on the phone said I could get a free estimate and that shipping would be free for them to look at it. As she continues to help me fill out some paperwork online, she says, "oh, have I given you your estimate?". Um no lady, I thought that's what all the paperwork was for. So she tells me it's going to be anywhere from $1,000-1,900 to fix! WHAT??!! Holy crap. That was for the 'fast fixings' so I asked how much it would be if it took longer. And it would still be anywhere from $750-1,500.

There was no way I was going to pay that much. So I got off the phone and took it over to Best Buy. After I explained that the computer would not recognize my hard drive to the 'geek squad', they took it back to try it on one of their computers and what do you know...the geek says, "yeah, our computers aren't recognizing that anything is plugged in". Oh really?!! They told me it would be $60.00 to ship it to their lab, but that that money would also be used toward fixing it. And it could be anywhere from $250.00 to look at it. Sheesh.

This week I was told from wonderful Becky that the school has a recovery program. I looked into it, took the drive to them and they said they were not sure how long it would be before they could look at it. They called me back later that day. They charge $6.00/15 minutes and said it usually takes about an hour...HELLO! I can totally do that. So before they opened up the little demon they talked to me letting me know that the warranty would not be good anymore. Then the helpful guy continues to tell me that if he just writes a letter to the manufacturer letting them know what they are doing, then the warranty will still be good...or something like that. Whatever! It would be way cheaper for me to let them open it, recover the stuff, and ruin my warranty...then buy a completely new one with a different warranty than all of these other ridiculous options! So we'll see what happens, but I am very optimistic, and I love BYU!!!

1 comment:

alma and nicole smith said...

oh good!!! i hope everything works out! i love BYU!!!!